In This Article
Ylang-Ylang in Perfumery
Ylang-Ylang essence is obtained by distilling its flowers. Different grades of Ylang-Ylang essence are produced depending on the frequency of distillation. Fresh Ylang-Ylang flowers are distilled with water in stills, which extract the essential oil of Ylang-Ylang divided into several fractions. The distillation process lasts between 12 and 20 hours. The highest quality essences of Ylang-Ylang are obtained during the first two hours. The still is filled with Ylang-Ylang flowers gradually, approximately every three hours, as the heating process continues.
The essence of Ylang-Ylang is available in various grades: Extra normal, Extra Superieur, and Première for fine perfumery, and Second and Third for cosmetics, soaps, and detergents. To obtain 2 kg of essence, 100 kg of Ylang-Ylang flowers are needed. Its scent is highly persistent, with hints of nail polish, powder, fruit, spices, flowers, and a touch of leather. Ylang-Ylang essence is often used to replace or supplement jasmine in floral accords.
Some Perfumes Featuring Ylang-Ylang
Guerlain's feminine perfume, Chant d'Arômes, launched in 1965, contains Ylang-Ylang. It opens with a light honeysuckle note, followed by a heart of jasmine, gardenia, and Ylang-Ylang, giving the fragrance a classic appeal. Its base is soft and woody, featuring vetiver and sandalwood. Chant d'Arômes captures the essence of a spring bouquet with Ylang-Ylang. Jean-Paul Guerlain created this perfume with a subtle Ylang-Ylang accord for his fiancée, embodying a charming spirit.
J'adore by Dior is one of the best-selling feminine fragrances in France. It is a composition of floral notes, including rose, tuberose, jasmine, Ylang-Ylang, iris, and white musk, among others.
Yves Saint Laurent's feminine scent, Cinéma Scénario d'été, also includes a hint of Ylang-Ylang. Launched in 2008, it is a timeless and refined floral fragrance with tangy and fruity scents. Its top notes are mandarin, lime, and orange, while Ylang-Ylang features in its heart notes, accompanied by jasmine and amaryllis. Amber, musk, and peach make up its base notes.
The Ylang-Ylang note softens the intensity of lime in Cinéma Scénario d'été, resulting in a fragrance that embodies discreet seduction. It is both simple and sophisticated, showcasing the perfect marriage between traditional and modern techniques. The intelligent combination of ingredients, including Ylang-Ylang, makes this fragrance sensual and opulent while retaining its elegance.
Fun Facts About Ylang-Ylang
- Ylang-Ylang is known as the "flower of flowers" due to its exotic and captivating aroma.
- In addition to perfumery, Ylang-Ylang is also used in aromatherapy for its calming and stress-relieving properties.
- The Ylang-Ylang tree can grow up to 60 feet tall and produces greenish-yellow flowers with an intensely sweet, floral scent.
- Historically, Ylang-Ylang flowers were spread on the beds of newlyweds in Indonesia as a symbol of love and fertility.
- Due to its calming effect, Ylang-Ylang oil is often used as an ingredient in massage oils and bath products.
- Ylang-Ylang is also believed to have aphrodisiac properties, which may explain its popularity in romantic and sensual fragrances.